View Single Post
momofsix 09:34 AM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
I saw a program once where they were testing children during growth spurts. The main focus seemed to be teenage boys who tend to spurt very rapidly in a very short amount of time. They were very clumsy. They (the experts) discussed how the bones in the arms and legs grow so fast that the child's brain hasn't had the chance to "catch up" to be able to judge distance with the new addition to their limbs. That's why they spill drinks off the table (arms are longer then they are used to) and trip over themselves easily (legs are longer than they are used to). I am thinking that maybe 4 years old (and 6-7 years old) may be times of spurting. I'm not sure, but it would make sense since it seems like so many kids have problems around that age.

Oh, and this delay in the brain to catch up to physical changes is absolutely true. I experienced it myself when I lost weight rapidly after a gastric bypass surgery 9 years ago. It does take a while for the brain to adjust to the changes that have occurred in the body. Actually the doctors told me that it can take up to 3 years for the brain to catch up after a major loss of weight like that. So I can only imagine what it must be like to have your arms and legs suddenly sprout a couple extra inches!
This is totally off topic, but it's too funny not to share...i had 2 of my girls develop boobs really fast (and young). they're way huger than I am (green witn envy) Anyhow, they kept bumping them for the first year or so It was crazy, I had never heard of this at the time, but totally saw it with them!