View Single Post
Abigail 06:40 PM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by MJM58:
Hello!

It's very likely that I'll be getting a job this summer as a daycare assistant. I'm very good with children, and I'm excited about the job. It sounds more fun than working in retail (but I also recognize that it can be very stressful).

Anyway, my real question is how messy is working in a daycare? I know that babies in general are messy, but what with looking after 12 kids with 3 people in the room, how bad will it get? I'm kind of squeamish, and that's really the only thing I'm worried about before going into this job.

By messy, I mean things like drool, snot, spit-up, vomit, pee, baby poop (especially the projectile poop and diaper blow-out horror stories I've heard before). How often does this stuff happen?

Thanks!
Is this just a summer job? Did you get interviewed yet? They'll ask why you want the job so if you were interviewed already how did you answer that question?

The main advice I have when I worked with 18 kids and 2-3 others is to be nice and get along with the other adults in the room. That will make your job even more wonderful especially when you're just getting exposed to working around children. I remember when I first started in a large group setting and asking questions like "What do I say if the kids ask me to build it taller (referring to legos as high as they could reach) when it doesn't need to get taller?" I remember a bunch of funny things I said, but mostly remember to just ask questions and you'll learn. Sometimes you need help just starting out like how to hold a blow-out diaper and wipes and gloves and keeping the hands and feet out of the way, etc. Just ask for help when you start. Those moments are just short and the overall fun moments last forever.