View Single Post
wdmmom 12:32 PM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I have four children also-elementary up to high school and we do homeschool one of our children. Yes, I work an 11 hour day but when the last of my dcks go home doesn't mean my day is done. I have to still get dinner done, house cleaned, showers and bedtime. In there we do sports! Really its not easy but please remember you chose to do daycare not your children. Some children (not all) I think see daycare as a punishment of some sorts because they start hearing-I work so many hours a day, you can't go do this, you can't go do that, you have to abide by the daycare rules, you have to be quiet, etc. and pretty soon providers children start resenting the dcks because their lifes start to revolve around these dcks.

I'm all about downtime and being a kid but I can tell you this. Everytime my one son will call and see if someone can come over to play, everyone is doing some type of camp or sport even in the summer. If we did not do the sports during the school year I know this would be the same thing and at least with the sports they can hang out with friends and be supervised at the same time.

If you are worried about the cost ALOT of programs do have scholarships and they help tremendously.

My one child who homeschools does miss out on more than the siblings because alot of things the her friends do are during the day and I am working so we don't get to go.

This year I am closing earlier because I do have a family and they do come first in my life. If I am going to participate in their school years I have to do the right thing and if that means closing early then let it be!
More power to ya...If I have 1 part timer. The others are full time and they all leave between 445 and 530pm. If I close any earlier than 530pm, I will lose half of my clients.

My kids understand that me working pays for their XBox and an awesome summer vacation each year and a nanny to help take them to the pool in the summer, etc. I have taught my kids the difference between a necessity and a luxury. IMHO think sports fall into the category of a luxury.

If the family is in agreeance that dinner will be late on Saturdays and Wednesdays I will be a "fend for yourself" night, so be it but I think it should not only be up to my son but I think the rest of the family needs to understand that it's going to take a family effort and not just an effort on my part.