View Single Post
Candyland 10:17 AM 09-05-2011
Originally Posted by Missani:
Another dreaded breakfast question. I know this has been posted before, I just want your opinions-new faces, new answers.

I serve a good breakfast every morning: Hot food, fruit, milk/juice. NOBODY eats it. I spend about 1/3 of my food budget (which is large to begin with) to provide them a healthy, balanced meal at the beginning of the day. Most days no one touches it, or at best, I can get 2-3 bites out of them. I serve "normal" things: scrambled eggs with toast and fruit, whole grain homemade waffles with fruit topping and sausage, oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar, breakfast sandwiches with fruit, bagels with cream cheese with some sort of sides, etc. My own kids eat it, but no one else does.

One family (mom admits) goes to the McDonald's drive through regularly before arriving because, "some mornings we just can't wait for you to open so we get in the car and head to McDonald's first." Another child usually arrives with a graham cracker (at best) or chips (at worst). Other times the parents will indicate on their daily note that "child ate nothing before arrival." So what's the deal? Aren't they hungry?

I want to continue to provide a hearty and good breakfast for the kids, but I'm tired of spending so much money on food that is thrown away every day. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

Oh, and related but as a side note, I feel the same way about milk. I spend $30 or more per week to buy organic milk because it's important to me to provide that, but kids just don't drink it. I think I throw at least $20 of milk away every week. And, yes, I'm only serving small portions with the ability for them to have more if they want it.
You are such a conscientious person! Your post made me crave blueberry pancakes and it's already after 12 noon. Doesn't matter though; I'm gonna make me some.
I think you should forego breakfast for your clients; it doesn't seem to be needed.