View Single Post
Crystal 06:23 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I completely agree! I am 25 years old so I have not seen this shift personally, but I disagree with some of societies push on mothers and providers. "You have to do this otherwise your baby will not be smart" "or socially accepted..or behind"....then its...this that and the other.
My friend told me she was thinking about buying your baby can read and I about laughed in her face. 70 - 100 dollars for some flash cards and cds. I'm sorry but what a crock!
I wish I could see my grandma in action back in the day with her 4 kids and see what that was like. I bet they had a great time and used their darn imaginations....
Things like your baby can read, baby einstein, etc. are not Developmentally Appropriate activities for children. I have never once used a flashcard, a video or anything even resembling those to teach young children. Society is wrong, but they also are not experts in the field. They do what sells to parents......it's not hard to convince a new parent that flashing lights and digital pictures are the way to go, as they have grown up in a time of electronics being THE way to go

Offering hands on, play-based, and real-life learning are the best ways to provide a solid foundation.