View Single Post
Lucy 08:37 AM 12-07-2010
I charge as much as I can get away with for my area, and I welcome the kids into my home. While they are here, they are family. It's no different than if I had my nieces over for the weekend. Enough structure so that they don't go hog wild, but enough freedom so that I'm not HOVERING over their every move waiting to impose some invasive "rule". I let kids be kids. If they ask me to join in a board game or card game and I have time at the moment, I will gladly join in. If I'm busy, I decline and they're ok with it. I don't get down on the floor and play barbies or paper dolls or legos though. I feel like they need "kid time" to help their imaginations grow. I have over 16 years experience - mostly with long-term kids. We're talking 5-11 years! I've helped raise some wonderful kids who are still in contact.

How sad that the almighty dollar would determine how you treat the kids. "Jennifer, I'd love to play Uno with you, but your parents don't pay me enough." Or "Sure I'll play Chutes & Ladders with you, Tyler! Just remember to bring $5 extra tomorrow and I'd love to play!"

(Edited to add) If I moved to a different area where the going rate was less, and therefore my income was lower, it would not change a single thing regarding the quality and amount of care I give the children. If I moved to an area where I could get away with charging more because that area's going rate was higher, I wouldn't suddenly feel like I could now get down on the floor and play with them because they pay more. I do what I do because it's the right thing to do, not because I get paid X amount to do it or not do it.