View Single Post
Lucy 09:51 AM 12-07-2010
Oh, I'm NOT one of those who feels I need to play with them. That's one thing I can agree with you on. I don't get on the floor and play with them, as I mentioned. I feel they need that time to let their imaginations fly un-interferred with. But if a 6 yr old or 9 or 11 yr old asks if I want to play Uno, there's no way I'd let money come into my decision. I like playing Uno (or Farkle, or Chutes & Ladders, or Go Fish, or Old Maid, etc. etc.) and if I want to and have time, sure.

As to whether I would tell the parent the child is asking for adults to play and would they like to pay more for me to hire a helper, that is ridiculous. If I have time and I WANT to, I play Uno. How is THAT hard?

My program IS basic care, btw. I don't have a stringent timeline to follow, I don't have a manual of rules, it's just common sense. Come to my house for safe, loving care, healthy & nutritious foods, and let me learn when & how long you need to nap. You won't get away with being a brat, but I won't hover and impose a thousand rules either. While you're here, this is home. Feel free to ask if I want to join your fun table game, but don't expect me to ALWAYS agree to.

I DO serve healthy, delicious and nutritious meals and snacks, thank you very much.

All I'm saying is that I'm not dollar driven. I'm child driven. I don't have the inner dialogue of "they don't pay me enough to do that". I go by if I WANT to, I do, if I DON'T, I don't. Simple as that. I give wonderful, un-obtrusive guidance. If you knew me, you'd know the kids don't get away with name calling or being rude. We treat each other with respect, which they well know. And they say please & thank you. Not only to me, but to each other. Whether their parents pay me a dollar a day, or a hundred dollars a day.