View Single Post
Annalee 05:12 PM 03-11-2018
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I think I have attended enough sessions on play than I need to last me a lifetime. I get it, kids need to play.
that being said.

first, I still don't understand what's wrong with coloring pages. I hate, hate, HATE drawing. always did, and probably, at this point it's safe to say that I always will. I thrived on coloring books. they are therapeutic, let alone wonderful sources for woodburning projects. whatever I have shown has come from a coloring book. why all of a sudden they are a bad guy, I don't know.

second, I was turning my nose up on worksheets until my then-3-year-old found one that was handed down to us in a pile of books, grabbed a pencil, and asked to tell her what it needed her to do. before I knew it, I had a separate pile of workbooks, and she couldn't stop doing those evil, horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad worksheets. what am I supposed to tell her? "sorry, kiddo, this is developmentally inapporpriate according to latest research, go play with Barbie"? bottom line is, some kids actually like worksheets, despite the bad rap. actually, I liked those, too, but I had maybe 2 or 3 books, and I went through them quickly. we just didn't have them published in the amounts they are printed here.

so, yeah, play is important, and this is what the childhood is for. but it is equally, if not more, important to be flexible enough to adjust for children's interests and abilities. yes, even if that means a worksheet or a coloring page.
I agree with you....as providers, we know our kids and while PLAY is the essence of childhood there are THOSE kids who enjoy workbooks, coloring books, etc. When I was doing my CDA observation, I had a four year old that loved to trace things...so I had ordered a special book that had a broad range of pictures and how to place paper in the book and trace it. The observor immediately let me know how inappropriate that activity was. I explained how no one else was even interested but this particular child thrived from these traced drawings.....so I feel providers KNOW their kids and there are exceptions to every rule. Providers are expected to meet all children's needs and I feel I did that with this four year old.