View Single Post
MamaMightSnap 09:24 AM 04-12-2016
I'm still confused. Every room in this center was part of the grant. Once, the grant materials were applied to the entire center, another make-shift room was opened for private pay babies. So, are you telling me that these children whose parents pay out-of-pocket don't receive the same standard of care as the subsidized children? What makes subsidized children "at risk"? And why is income even a factor when it comes to child care standards? I make $12/mo over the income limits for DHS subsidy in my state. I understand that there has to be defined limitations for this. However, it's absolutely insane to say that my $12/mo extra is reason to put my child in a sub-standard room. $12/mo means my child doesn't deserve the same staff with "higher training requirements". $12/mo justifies the center is allowed to not hold every room to the same standards.
As PlayCare noted, If the tables were turned and only the private pay children had access to the newest equipment while DHS children were grouped together in a separate room, this would be a HUGE issue.
I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the idea that child care is not equal to all children, regardless of their parents income. Such discrimination is a great injustice to our children, regardless of income status.