View Single Post
knoxmomof2 01:07 AM 09-03-2018
What BlackCat said.... They'll either take advantage of it and it doesn't put any burden on you, or they'll tire of it and move on.

I have a small home daycare. I had lingerers. One Mom would stay and visit for the longest time. Another would plop right down in the floor with her daughter, talk and cuddle, play with whatever toy she brought - and expect the other kids to stay away. Thankfully, I have a side entrance on my house that leads into the nap room and is adjacent to the daycare room, so I moved drop off and pick up there. Both of the lingerers were quite offended. I had to have a meeting with them (the other 2 parents didn't linger and couldn't have cared less) and explain that this was what I needed to do for my business and they were welcome to leave. Both stayed until they kids moved on to school.

They still lingered, but it was in a separate space. The snuggler told me when they were done, the lingerer would try to talk to me at the door, but I always had the excuse that I needed to get back to the other kids nearby. It at least gave me control over how much attention I paid them and how disruptive they were to my daycare space. Now, I'm on to a new wave of kids and parents and quick drop off is the only way we do it.

So, separate space like BC said. If you find that they're still just standing in the doorway and prolonging things even then, you'll either need to be clear that once they reach x point that they need to just hand over or you might need a physical barrier like a gate/ tape line, etc that they're not allowed to cross and them excuse yourself if they try to chat.