View Single Post
e.j. 01:39 PM 07-29-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Unbelievable, blame the parent for not "parenting". Obviously you have a child that does not have ADHD or some other type of issue that makes transitioning extremely difficult for some children. Parents have enough trouble in this day and age with all of the guilt that is thrown their way, not being tough enough, being too tough etc. It takes a village to raise a child, when you see a parent struggle, step in and help, don't just stand there judging.
I'm both a provider and a parent with a child (now grown) who has autism and adhd. When my ds was young, he had a great deal of trouble with transition times. His diagnosis wasn't used as an excuse for poor behavior; it was used to help me figure out what was causing the behavior and how best to help him improve it. Believe me when I say I know how it feels to be judged. You can't win no matter what you do so you just have to decide what is best for you and your family and ignore people who try to judge you.

Because I know how it feels to be judged as a parent, I try not to judge the parents of the kids in my care but it's not always easy. I've been a day care provider for over 20 years and have to say that based on those years of experience, what Nannyde wrote is spot on. There are exceptions to every rule but for the most part, the kids who misbehave the most, especially at drop off and pick up times, are the kids (and parents) she described - to a tee! I said to my most recent challenging kid, "That behavior doesn't work at my house." He responded, "Well, it does at mine." I know. We wouldn't be having the problems we're having if it didn't!