View Single Post
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:

So I have one of these in my playroom. The same child who has all his teeth and chews up my house as well as himself creating hickeys on his arms and all my toys has progressively gotten more destructive by scratching at my carpet and furniture to create lint that he can eat. We have had issues with him throwing which has gotten a little better but the chewing persists and has increased despite having gotten toys for him to redirect him with (which is a full time job in it's own) and now that he is getting closer to 2 years old we are having a lot more issues with him not listening all together.

Today, he decided to dump all of my duplo legos (two big bins) as well as pull the toy bins (that you see above) completely over 3 times while I was in the kitchen making lunch...spilling all of the toys out and now I cannot trust that he won't pull it over on another child. SO as a last resort... I was going to get a superyard and keep him quarantined in it with toys he is allowed to chew on and that way I don't have to be concerned with him hurting one of the other kids.

HOWEVER, I'm completely sure that his mother is going to flip out (which I'm fine with at this point) that I'm not letting him be free. Her response whenever he does stuff like this is a chuckle and says "boys will be boys, sorry he was a little butt for you". If I make a big deal out of things she always throws her hands up in the air and says "well I don't know what to do, I can't stop it. What do you want me to do?". Uhm... at least take your kid to the freakin doctor and be honest with them! There is a start! I could deal with these issues if she was genuinely concerned with fixing them but they aren't interested in early intervention.

Since I can't get her to get real about this child's state of various problems I pretty much am fine with her leaving but I just want to know... am I out of line for keeping an almost 2 year old child quarantined all day or even most of it? I'm sure he will begin throwing again once I do this... I am just at the point where I cannot continue with things the way that they are and they have made it clear they are not interested in confronting these problems.
First off..... ((((hugs)))) for dealing for as long as you have already.

Secondly..."the boys will be boys" comment..... Someone shared this on another forum and I thought it was great!

Boys will be boys
so they say
but I am raising my boy to be a man one day
Shouting is not nice and kicking hurts
Nobody likes their face in the dirt
So boys that fight, kick and shout
will be boys that sit
alot in time out!

I know it doesn't apply to the chewing and destructiveness but it does lend a bit to the whole "I am not accepting of that mentality" for an excuse.

Third: I would definitely be separating this child. If mom doesn't like it then show her the door....especially if she is really indenial about her child having any type of issues. If she really balks at her kid being separated, tell her you will gladly let him out to roam freely ONLY if she signs a statement that she will assume ALL costs associated with clean-up, repair and replacement of all toys and equiptment as well as the medical needs of any child he hurts while engaging in such destructive behavior.

Me: I would just term and give mom a dose of reality when she finds out most other people don't want to keep a child so destructive in their homes.