View Single Post
kitkat 11:37 AM 01-20-2010
Has anything major happened at home over the last year that might be contributing to his behavior? Any changes in the kids that you care for, anyone new or did a good buddy of his leave and he's reacting?

Stay firm with discipline. Maybe add a reward system. Giving him choices of things he can do might help also. Sounds like he wants to be in control, but isn't sure how to do it appropriately. Giving him a special job would give him some control over something and teach some responsibility. I use to do a special smiley face sticker using address labels. I printed a smiley face from clip art on each sticker. At pm snack time, I would pick a child who was eating nicely and have them tell me something good that happened that day. I would write it on the label and let them put it on themselves, pretty much where ever they wanted (sometimes the kids would hide it on themselves and the parents would have to try to find it). It was a great way to reinforce good behavior and reflect on the day. It was also a great way for parent and child to communicate about the day and praise the good behavior.