View Single Post
Play Care 09:30 AM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Guys, I am in year 3 of caring for kiddos from same family. I am considering ending this at the end of school (teachers) giving them the summer to make other arrangements. This family has been ok but come September I have better options that have come up as far as kids are concerned. Have any of you termed a long standing family. If so, how did it go and how did you do it?
Yes. It didn't go well, but at the end of the day it was for the best. Because of that term, I now do terms in writing, outside of day care if possible (so mailing it a week or so after they leave for the summer...) I don't care if they have a tantrum, but it can be scary for other children in attendance.
I would just do a generic letter:
"Dear DCP's
As of x date, I will no longer be able to provide care for your family due to changes in my day care. I have enjoyed caring for Timmy and Susie, and I wish you all the best! Should you need assistance securing new care, the referral agency can be reached at 1800 NOT MY PROBLEM.

Sincerely,

Happy Provider"

Have a plan if they do call, and be a broken record with what ever it is you tell them. Admittedly I try to find something close to the truth - be it lowering numbers, reducing the age gaps, etc. I try to be sympathetic but professional. It tends to take the wind out of their sails when you don't sink to their level