View Single Post
daycarediva 11:11 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
To All Day Care Providers. This is why it is ridiculous to charge for your vacation days. You are not an employee. You are self-employed. And in return for all of the decisions you get to make as a self-employed person, you give up certain advantages of being an employee. I do not pay my various contractors (through my work) for work not performed. I am fine paying for days when my kids are sick, as they are taking up spots in daycare. I do not feel it is right to ask for your customers to pay for your time off, as well as, either take their time off around your schedule or pay a second source to do the job you otherwise would have. When I use my PTO at work, my employer does not have to pay a second person to do the work when I am off.
Well then how about you chose a provider who does not take paid days off?If I didn't take PTO, I would raise my rates significantly to offset it, so either way, you're paying additional. Contractors tack on extra to accommodate paid days off for themselves and their employees as well. (Husband owns a contracting business).

No, we aren't your employee but you contract for a service. If you don't like the contract, don't sign it and look elsewhere. It goes back to not signing a contract that you don't agree with. They are out there.

Depends on the job if they have to pay to replace you. Teachers, nurses, retail, child care off the top of my head....all need to pay an employee for PTO and pay another employee to work the hours.

Merry Christmas providers, here come the parents asking for 'breaks' months-years after signing a contract agreeing to it.