View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I get auto-pilot too. I used to leave cupcakes sitting on the top of my car while driving my kids around, or even still pass the turn to the bank when my mind is elsewhere. But come on, kids????? Leaving them in the car?? It's incomprehensible to me how something can be so much more important than that sweet dear little life sitting snug and safe in a carseat, needing our complete care and protection.
And reading about not knowing the dangers of water and children???? WTF It says way more about the dad than the pedi.
I think if the penalties were super stiff/harsh, that it would be something we constantly keep at the front of our brains.

Take liability in child care.... I know that because liability has the power to literally ruin me....it's something I think about every single day within every single activity and interaction with a DCK and their family. I think "liability" when browsing toys or materials for daycare, I think "liability" when creating, enforcing or eliminating policies. I think "liability" when transitioning from one activity to another, when serving lunch, when the kids are being dropped off and picked up. I never stop thinking about liability.

Has our country gotten so bad about passing the blame or being so totally self-involved that our own children have become the sad victims in our selfishness??
This made me think of some stupid challenge going around called the "kiki challenge". Hadn't heard of it until this morning on the news. Apparently some girl got seriously injured participating in this challenge. After listening to the entire story, I immediately thought "People ARE getting stupid" I'm sorry the girl got hurt but it's her own fault.

There has got to be something done to the parents or whoever is responsible. Yes, I feel terribly sad and bad for what they're going through and unless it was done intentionally(I shudder at the thought) they will live with that guilt forever. BUT it does not absolve them from what they're responsible for. Prison time, no. But it needs to cost them somehow. Maybe in terms of speaking engagements to teach, community service, or money to fund programs....something.
We've discussed numerous times on this board the differences in punishment for the same acts when it comes to a child care provider doing X and a parent doing X.

Maybe it's time we stop holding providers MORE responsible because these are NOT OUR KIDS and start holding parents MORE responsible because these ARE THEIR KIDS!

In my honest opinion, that makes them (parents) have a higher level of responsibility because they the parent.