View Single Post
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm of the generation that started becoming parents in 1994. I don't think any of the things you mentioned really started being a "problem" till 10 years ago.

We had no computer till the 1997 and rarely was on it. There was really no social media at that time and if there was it was very limited and I'm sure not well known of.

The children that were raised during the 1990's are just now becoming parents so we can't say it was social media and the trophy child. This has been happening for 25 years!

We now have several that are in the medical field that have forgotten their child, it isn't just young parents, parents of all ages are forgetting their children.

I think its long, long hours we do, trying to squeeze 3 days of work into 1, instead of keeping up with the Jones's know it is trying to keep up with the best parents that you know, trying to keep it all together when your falling apart inside, etc.

I honestly think instead of so much emphasis on birthing classes maybe there needs to be a much bigger emphasis on parenting classes on parenting while your pregnant. Covering safety, child development, finding a peditrician, childcare and the list could go on.
There was "social media" long before Facebook or what we view social media as today so I disagree. The last 10 yrs only amplify the issue but I think that type of thinking DID exist prior to FB (or current social media) becoming super popular.

The issues I mentioned started LONG before just the last 10 years (read any old venting posts about parenting and how it's changed over the last few decades)

Also I'm not understanding what you mean by "We now have several that are in the medical field that have forgotten their child, it isn't just young parents, parents of all ages are forgetting their children."
Parents in the medical field aren't the same as others having children today? What does the medical field have to do with forgetting your child?

I don't think you can pin point the root of this issue to any one thing but instead a change in societal beliefs, actions and behaviors. A change that started so small that it was unnoticed or at the very least not even recognized until we see the outcome.