View Single Post
Sugar Magnolia 11:48 AM 07-11-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's a dilution method where you take the phrase and give it s nonsensical meaning.. then shorten down even further

I would call him "you hut me" then "u hermie" then hermie. He would be called Hermie till he went to kindy here. :-)

I've done this technique a ton of times and it works great. I'm in charge of nicknames in my little world and I'm brilliant at it.

I wouldn't spend a second correcting him when he accuses. Kids do what works and those are some pretty powerful words. I would release the power from those words and then... once cured... I would model hurt to him. I would not ever try to tell him to not say it. He's been to that rodeo and he loves loves loves the adult reaction. He would be thrown off kilter Iif we used the power for silly instead of the power he has gotten of getting the adult to DO him.
Still going to strongly disagree. As a parent, I would really go majorly ballistic if someone gave my.child.any "nickname" that evolved from the phrase "you hurt me". I don't think it's "silly", I think it's belittling.. I just can't understand why you would encourage name calling. Children should be addressed by their name. Or sweetie, or honey.
So by this reasoning, if you had a child who keeps saying "I don't like you" and you want to stop that behavior, do you call the child "I don't like you" as a nickname? Then "don't like". Then "don't". Then you have a child going to kindergarten with the nickname "don't" because he had an issue saying "I don't like you" two years ago. Baffling.