View Single Post
bunnyslippers 08:12 AM 02-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I understand where you are coming from, but a license is in NO WAY a guarantee that none of those things won't happen.

If fencing is an absolute necessity for child care and safety reasons, why don't ALL states require fenced in yards?

What about the licensed provider who has a boyfriend or a friend or anyone not on her license that is a sex offender and comes into the home?

My state doesn't require a mental health evaluation to be done at all.

A neighboring child care provider who IS licensed had her own child removed by CPS due to some issues that had NOTHING to do with her ability to care for daycare kids. She is still licensed.

I also know someone who has had their parental rights terminated and works in child care.

I am just pointing out that there are many licensed and unlicensed child cares out there and I do NOT believe for one second that having a license makes anyone a better provider than the next.

I am not saying I would personally be willing to break the law and operate illegally if my state required me to have a license but it surely doesn't make me a better provider just because I do have a license.
In my state, you are required to be licensed, even if you are caring for one child that is not your own.

I have to say, I am completely disillusioned with the entire process. As BC says, a license does not make you a better provider.

Since I have had my license for the past 5 years, I have not seen or heard from any member of the licensing department UNLESS I NEEDED TO PAY A RENEWAL FEE. I feel that licensing is a complete joke, and that the only reason for it is to collect money.

I know that I am a good provider, and that my licensor has faith in my ability to care for children. I know she is overworked and has a very full caseload. She tells me at each renewal visit that she is supposed to do a follow up visit, but that she probably will not. And she never has.

I truly feel that the amount of money and time it takes to conform to regulations is unnecessary.