View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 12:59 PM 02-04-2013
Okay so I know that he's just a baby but I have never seen anything like what this baby does and I'm at a loss for words or for what to think. Maybe someone can shed some light???

I have a 4mo infant that started in mid January so he's fairly new, he's been here only for 3 weeks. Since the beginning I noticed that he was a little on the high needs side of things but I didn't think anything of it considering that he is new, he's an only child, has been home with mom until now and probably held all the time.

It's all pretty standard stuff that you would expect from a new infant like this getting acclimated to a new environment and routine except for one quirk. He has this way of "complaining" in small bursts of grunts and whines that I've never seen another child do. And there excessive, as in he does it the majority of the time for long periods of time.

For example today: gets dropped off at 7:30am and dcm brings him in his car seat asleep. He's fine, dcm leaves. I take him out and put him in pack n play and he starts to grunt (sounds like little pushes) he continues to do it in his sleep for another 45 minutes until he wakes up. Looks around and starts to whine (sounds like a puppy) for a few minutes (I'm changing diapers) then starts to grunt loudly in long bursts and then cries loudly when I don't go to him immediately. I pick him up finally and he stops crying but then starts to grunt unhappily for 15 minutes (while I'm holding him). Doesn't want bottle, doesn't want pacifier. I set him down on changing table to check his diaper and he starts to puppy whine again while I change his wet diaper. Pick him up again and he goes back to grunting. I set him down on infant play gym so I can serve snack and he immediately starts to grunt very loudly for the next 10 minutes until he finally starts to scream cry loudly for another 5 minutes or so. I set snack out and pick him up and he goes back to puppy whining. I offer him a bottle again which he drinks all while still grunting. I burp him and he falls asleep but still grunting in his sleep with a frown on his face and his bottom lip protruding in a pout. ????

Not sure what to make of it or what to do??? I've never seen this before and it's not improving. It's not getting worse either but it's not improving either.

He's PT comes twice a week from 7:30am-12pm. I talked to DCM about having him come more often (she agrees that he's a high needs baby) but I'm not sure that I can handle having him for longer hours or an extra day (I have another infant of 6 months on the other 3 days of the week).

Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone have a kid like this?