View Single Post
cheerfuldom 10:21 AM 07-12-2011
I love all the previous posts but just wanted to add, don't forget that you can work with your daughter yourself as well when she gets to preschool age. Its not hard to research what is expected of kinder or preschool kids and you can supplement at home very easily with workbooks and other educational tools. I think you will find though that MANY preschool and kinder teachers list of "things to know" almost exclusively include social skills, handling emotions, basic care of self like knowing how to put a jacket on. Most teachers would rather have a child that is emotionally ready to learn than a child that knows all the ABCs yet cannot follow basic instructions and still throw tantrums and doesn't play well with others. Do you see what I mean? Like another poster said, there are many years for her to learn the book stuff and in addition, there's no reason that you can't find fun ways at home to work on things. You don't have to be a teacher to have access to books and websites that offer ideas on how to learn colors and shapes and whatnot.