View Single Post
melskids 11:29 AM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
OMG I want to BE you! I just spent time on your blog. It makes me want to cry...

The group dynamic I have right now is sooo challenging. It seems like I'm spending a lot more time just getting through the day than I should be. Being that creative right now doesen't even seem possible.

If it's ok with you, I would like to follow your blog, and borrow what ideas I can. Maybe slow is the way to go....

What, if any "rules", do you have with your sensory table? Can you make any recomendations; my group is 14 mo, 14 mo, 18 mo, 3, and 4. 4yo is part time....4 of 5 are sibs...
oh, mine can be challenging too, believe me! we're just coming out of a few rough couple of months.

first, i gave up on things needing to be perfect. sometimes (well, everyday, really!) the most important things we need to get through the day are good food, lots of exercise, and a good nap. if that's all i accomplish in a day, then ive done good. (darn good at that ) thats why i dont particularly like canned curriculums. too much too do, and too much guilt when you cant get it all done.

and second, i'm a HUGE believer in learning through play. if you give them a good solid choice of open ended toys, that's your curriculum right there.

we can spend HOURS with just playdough and cover everything from fine motor to math to social skills to everything in between.

as far as my sensory and art rules...everything is out an accessible. we start very young learning to use things appropriately, and cleaning up. i stay within arms reach of the youngest ones, but by 3 years old, they all understand how things work around here, and i can confidently walk away a bit and trust them to make the right choices. my art center is RIGHT next to my couch, and i've NEVER had anyone go anywhere NEAR it with a marker or paint. lol

but if you are overwhelmed with trying to do it all, i would take a breath, and a step back. go back to the basics. get a good solid routine down, and work on teaching basic social skills (if thats where youre struggling). once you get a handle on the day, then slowly add in more creative activities/curriculum.

we all want whats best for our kids, and to give 115% all the time. As women, we feel we need to do it all. that's why so many providers burn out. i say, slow down and take the time to be in the moment. thats what matters to me the most. these kids arent gonna remember everything i did, but i know they will remember how i made them feel. to heck with impressing the parents with perfect curriculum....lol