View Single Post
sahm2three 11:56 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
Aggressive defiance - I've had a few of those, not often thank goodness.

Yes it could be something going on at home or a diet thing, but you still have to deal with the symptoms while you try to figure that part out.

Time-Out - I have a couple right now that a time-out elicits the whole freak out thing and makes them angrier. BUT, they have responded well to being given a task that occupies their hands and mind for a few minutes until they have calmed. Instead of getting a timeout after being reminded of the rules I'll ask them to pick up the blocks or sort the bins of toys instead. They are the only ones dealing with their consequence and the playroom looks better. Surprisingly, I don't get the defiance with this. Weird I know.

Throwing food? Give him small portions served on paper products or directly on a high chair tray. It's not as satisfying to launch a piece of paper with three pieces of dry cereal on it as it is a whole bowl covered with milk.

Sippy cup issue? Assign his own. I pick my battles.

Wants the to go baggie? Again, I'd just serve his food in a baggie at snacktime and be done with it. Hard to throw a fit over something you already have.

Some kids seem to like conflict. Take away the expected response and sometimes you can eliminate the attempt to take it there in the first place
I see your point, but at 5 snacks a week, I am not going to give him a new baggie every day. And then he would throw a fit about everyone else having a bowl. That's just the way he is!