View Single Post
harperluu 06:37 PM 08-09-2011
OP: I think you are on the right track. Trust your instinct. As a home child care provider, I wouldn't want my children watching any TV during the day under the age of 5. There are lots of things to do with the children while making lunch that does not involve the television. Playdoh is my favorite because they will play endlessly with it and hands and table are washed before meals anyway. I might take out a big floor puzzle for preschools and bean bags and buckets for toddlers.

Most home child care providers are always thinking, as they plan for their day. I know a floor puzzle for the 3-5's is a great way for them to practice cooperative play, while the toddlers are working on gross motor skills tossing those bean bags over and over. No formal curriculum. Just me standing at the counter, stirring spaghetti sauce offering encouragement and guidance.

The children in my care typically like each other. They look forward to the daycare friends they will see each day. They learn life skills and how to treat each other fairly and kindly. They have the benefit of being in a multiage group where others are modeling talking and walking and eating and sharing. There's always someone in the group that has just passed the milestone their currently striving for.

The little ones have more of my attention because the older ones no longer need as much. They've learned to be a little bit more independent, picking up their toys and putting on their own shoes. Proudly announcing, I cleaned it all by myself Kathy. Look it's so clean!

And then someone spills their milk and there are tears and messes. Here they learn compassion for each other and no big deal I spill my milk too sometimes. These are the things children can learn in a home setting. It's a lot like home. Less institutional. More cozy. We don't need a formal curriculum because the kids show me what they need and I have enough education and training to provide it.

But without TV. I watch plenty of that myself after my own kids go to bed!