View Single Post
ILMommy 10:57 AM 03-08-2012
I need advice. I've only been doing daycare 3 months; I have a little girl who will be two next month. She has never gone to daycare. She doesn't talk; I've heard her say some words, but she doesn't respond to questions, say hi, bye, no verbal interactions. She refuses to listen or respond to anything I say, unless it is something she WANTS to do. I've wondered many times about her hearing, but she will hear and respond if it's something she likes, such as saying her daddy is here. But telling her no, asking her to pick up, or even saying her name to get her to look at me when she knows she's doing something wrong-she doesn't respond at all. She throws toys everywhere, but acts like she has never had to pick one up in her life. She literarally stands there with a blank look while I show and explain to her, then turns and tries to run off. She knows very well the things she is not allowed to do: standing on chairs, climbing on things, ect and she waits until I'm feeding the baby or making lunch and then she does it. And she will keep doing it until I walk over to her, then she sometimes corrects herself, sometimes I have to pull her down. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I feel she understands almost all of what I say, but she doesn't want to respond, so she ignores me. And with her not talking, but being an active almost two-year-old, I feel I have no control over this little person. Tried time out, but she doesn't seem to undertand (her parents don't use discipline because they think she's too young to understand rules; a HUGE part of the problem, I know). There are many issues here, I think, but I don't know if I should just say I can't keep providing care, or try to establish at my house she has to follow rules. I'm grateful for any advice!