View Single Post
Crazy8 12:19 PM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I agree that we should always try to view things from the perspective of the parent. And you are correct, some of their runny noses and coughing are caused by allergies. Which makes our job really difficult when we are trying to decide whether they are sick or not. That's why we send home if symptoms of "allergies" also include fever, vomitting, diarrhea, or green nasal discharge (b/c those symtpoms are indicative of an infection).

But I have to disagree that runny noses and coughs caused by allergies can spread to the other kids. An allergy is the body's immune response to something foreign entering their body. It cannot spread to another person. Therefore, someone presenting allergy symptoms; if they do not have a virus or bacterial infection; cannot spread their runny nose or cough to someone else. Only viruses and bacteria (and other pathogens) can spread.

I have never heard of someone getting pneumonia from a cough due to allergies. Pneumonia is caused by viruses and bacteria. Therefore, it cannot be caused directly by a cough due to allergies. A virus or bacteria must be present for pneumonia to occur. In your friend's case, she may have started off with allergies, but somewhere down the line she must have picked up one of the viruses or bacteria that are known to cause pneumonia.

Just wanted to clear that up.
sorry I wasn't more clear - I was saying it started as a cough due to allergies, obviously it progressed to more and she knew to get it checked out, the point I was trying to make is when parents are dismissing every cough/symptom as allergies and ignore it when it becomes more because its "just allergies". Does that make more sense???

And snot is snot, I don't want it all over other kids/toys whether it is allergy related or virus related, LOL!!!