View Single Post
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 03-30-2016
Originally Posted by kbeutiful:
Currently in the process of filling out my paper work and doing my required classes. So happy to have had found this site because I have so many questions. I am based in the NY area

1. Should I take my business as a Sole Proprietor or as LLC (limited liability company)

2. Pricing: I was thinking infants $180 a week toddlers $150 a week, my husband said those prices are to low he suggests infants should be $200 a week and toddlers $180 a week. What do you think???

3 Can you add your business onto your house insurance?

4. Sharing Handbook and enrollment forms, I need ideas of what to put, what are like the main things to put in to protect me and that would avoid a situation later down the line
Here is a great article about whether or not being an LLC is right for you. http://tomcopelandblog.com/should-yo...ty-company-llc

As far as costs/prices to charge go, the best advice I've ever gotten is to decide what YOU need to financially survive and go from there. It's also a good idea to research what others maybe charging in your area, not so you can match their pricing but so that you have a starting point. It's important to set your rates according to what your community can support.

Some home owner's insurance companies allow a rider to be added to your policy others do not. Again, you have to research the requirements in your area. In my state we are not required to have liability insurance (I couldn't imagine not having it though) but I am required to tell parents if I do or don't have it.

As for handbooks and policies, we have tons of threads about that: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=handbooks

My state requires me to have specific written policies on the following:

A. the ages and numbers of children in care in the residence;
B. the hours and days of operation;
C. meals and snacks to be served;
D. labeling requirements for food brought from the child's home;
E. sleeping and rest arrangements;
F. nondiscrimination practices
G. policies for the care of ill children, disease notification procedures, immunizations, and medicine permission policies;
H. emergency, fire, and storm plans and the monthly fire drill log;
I. seat belt and transportation plans and field trip and transportation permission requirements;
J. fees;
K. termination and notice procedures;
L. plans for a helper and substitute for emergencies, vacations, or holidays;
M. the presence of pets in the residence;
N. a complete copy of parts 9502.0315 to 9502.0445;
O. insurance coverage; and
P. whether or not smoking is permitted in the residence during the hours children are in care.