View Single Post
AmyKidsCo 11:41 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
The only reason children learn to do anything is through necessity, and language is no different. All the kids I've had whose parents predicted their needs and met them before the child had a chance to communicate their need had some speech delay. I would totally ignore her while being present, and if she's still hungry she will ask soon. I especially like to overact in front of kids like that with the other children. "Oh, you'd like MORE PLEASE? HERE you go, THANKS for asking!" They think it's funny, but my little stinkers watch the whole play.

As far as chewing, I just ordered one of these. I'll let you know soon if it works for my little Jaws!

http://www.arktherapeutic.com/arks-k...uCEaAllP8P8HAQ
So true! Our youngest didn't speak until he was over 24 months old. He was the youngest of 6, and his older siblings were 2, 6, 10, 13, & 16 so he didn't have to speak to get what he wanted. He just had to point and give puppy dog eyes.

As I was reminded in a recent workshop, the behaviors children have right now have worked for them their entire lives. It may drive us crazy, but it's always worked for them and they may not know any different, so it's our job to teach them alternative behaviors.

When you see her looking at you for more I'd ask "Do you want some more ______?" and when she nods say "Say 'more' " or encourage her to sign for more. When she starts mastering that you can encourage her to ask without the prompt. Like, when you serve her firsts say "Tell me when you're ready for more..."