View Single Post
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know and understand it's the time of year for runny noses and coughs. But how long do you let it go on before you suggest they see a doctor?

I have 9 out of 10 kids with constant runny noses and horrible coughs that started out dry but is turning wet sounding. Parents said they called the doctor's office and they said if they don't have a fever don't bother bringing them in. The youngest is 8 months old and he has had this nasty cough and runny nose for three weeks now.

My 11 month old's mom brought in Benadryl to give him which I won't. Poor boy would hardly eat today.

2 year old has nasty thick dark green snot and cough I think she has a sinus infection again.

I can't keep up with the runny noses and am starting to catch this nasty bug.

advice? Should I require they been seen and given a note to return to care.
I require a stay (24 hours min) at home to rest after 5 continuous days of a cough and/or runny nose OR a doctor visit to verify the symptoms have not morphed into something worse. Parents choose which option but I rinse and repeat so after another 5 consecutive days of symptoms (if they aren't getting better).

I continue to do that ^^^ until child is better or until Spring.

As for medications, if a child requires medication to ease symptoms or "make it through" the day I would exclude them from care. I do NOT and will NOT medicate a child.

I also have written in my policies that ANY symptoms that require more supervision than I am able to provide WHILE maintaining the same level of supervision and a sanitary environment for others will be reason to exclude. So a 5 yr old with a runny nose would more than likely not be excluded like a 15 month old that has the same runny nose but lacks the ability to manage most of it on their own.

I never require a doctor's note for re-admittance as that is my call since I have a group of kids to be concerned about and the Dr is usually only concerned about giving the parent a note to get them out of their office. I do require a doctor's note for diagnosis sometimes but I have a form for that that I provide myself.

I also have a reminder letter I send out to parent at the beginning of the cold/flu season outlining my expectations and exclusion policies. I refuse to play the blame game as to where an illness originated and I refuse to make exceptions for sick kids just because their parent might have no PTO left or at all as I require all families to have a reliable back up provider for those times in which their child is exclude from care.

I don't take illnesses (even mild) lightly and won't let parents do so on my watch either.