View Single Post
knoxmomof2 08:10 AM 10-12-2018
I had a 3 year old DCG randomly start biting once. She did it 1 time, thankfully didn't break skin. We talked and I figured it was isolated. Didn't even talk to the parents because it was so odd for her. Did it the next day again to the same DCG! I told her that since I couldn't trust her to behave like a big girl when I was busy, she would need to sit on a rug with a book during those times. Talked to her Mom that night, found out she was also doing it at home and they thought it was because Dad moved into his new house (her parents are separated).

I did the rug technique for a week, reminded her each time that she was going to the rug and sitting while her friends played because I couldn't trust her to be a nice friend while I was busy, etc. The next week, I gave her a chance on Monday, after a good talking to about her previous behavior, watched her very carefully as much as possible and she was good. But, she was one who wanted to please so that matters. If it's a stubborn child who doesn't care, or they're not old enough to understand, then you're looking at using a playpen or separating them longer. Good luck!