View Single Post
daycarediva 09:24 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Black cat, no one is saying it's the end of the world. Simply that this regulation seems more, I dunno, "big brotherish" then what we are used to. It's the slippery slope that is troubling. And while other areas have had some really doozies of regs passed, our state has usually been pretty even keeled.

The ironic thing is that I only serve water and milk at my day care. I just don't like being told that's all I *can* serve.

And we were given an opportunity to comment on the proposed regs - they were roundly slammed by ALL associations, union reps, etc.

They passed anyway.
Yes, this is what bothers me. That they asked for our feedback, we responded in droves with a resounding NO to some of the new regs....and they went ahead and passed them anyway. How do you even go about getting them to listen AFTER they refused to listen before. ?

Due to he new regs, I have to install a new egress window in my basement, in a non daycare area, (in an UNFINISHED area) because the former window we had to install when I was first licensed here is no longer in compliance. They changed it from a minimum of X in by X inches to square footage. Ours is off by 3 effing inches. I have until May, but dh cant dig it out until the snow thaws.

I also have to find a way (still haven't come up with something with a big enough space) so that the daycare blankets and pillows do not touch. Even though they are washed nightly and put away (folded and stacked on top of each other) I at least understand the reasoning behind this reg, it's just a hassle.

The milk/water/juice thing bothers me. It seems very big brother, as playcare said. I also know providers who are hopping mad about it, as they aren't on the food program for a reason. They serve what they want, and now they can't.

I very much feel like I am less and less of a small business owner and more and more of a franchise owner, if that makes sense. I used to like the freedom of giving them Gatorade in hot summer months (I have 3 kids who absolutely refuse to drink water) and hot chocolate after snow play. I no longer have that freedom. What's next on this slippery slope? TELLING me what to charge? what I can't drink myself? What I can't have in the house?