View Single Post
Janet 11:30 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
First, the child you had that made those comments - that was TOTALLY uncalled for and I would have definitely addressed that with his parents explaining that we do NOT discriminate and talk like that in MY home. Period. It is very sad that some parents raise there kids to be that hateful.

Second, the OP was not being rude, hateful, or even disrespectful in ANY way. (I disagree with you. The disrespect comes in with her even asking the question in the first place. Did she think that the provider was going to be screening gay adult films?)]We do not know her reasons. To ASSUME that she hates gays, is a homophobe, or is a bigot, is to be just as "intolerant" as you ASSUME she is. Remember, you are putting words in her mouth, without knowing the full story. Is it right for her or anyone to ASSUME that all gay people are God-hating, immoral, sexual deviants, who prey upon young people and try to "turn" straight people gay? No. Those are ASSUMPTIONS. You are doing the exact same thing. The OP was only concerned about her child being exposed it something that the MOTHER did not think her child was ready to learn about. She was not bashing them for being gay or having any gay pride events. She was exercising her rights as a parent, just as a parent has a right to her his/her child excluded from a sexual education course in school. Jesus H. Hubert Tap-Dancing Christ, lady! Do you really think that the daycare provider was going to be providing a sex ed class???? That is absurd and insulting to the OP's former daycare provider! Unreal. By the way, have you heard the saying that when you ASSUME, you make an a** out of you. That is why we should not make those leaps. I'm OK with being an "ass" because at least I'll be an "ass" who stays true to her convictions.You said, "If it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck...then it's a duck." I find this very interesting. First, my daughter knows how to walk like a duck and quack like a duck, but I guarantee that she is NOT a duck. I'm sure that I don't need to explain to you that I didn't mean literally a duck... Second, the OP never said that she is opposed to celebrations of Gay Pride. She only said that she wanted to know ahead of time and did not want her child to participate. OK, then if she's not opposed to it, then why would there be an issue about her child participating? That seems like opposition to me. What if the event was a day at the pool and the parent was not comfortable with her young child swimming without a parent present to provide one-on-one supervision? This example is not even close to the OP's issue. A pool is related to safety whereas a gay pride event is not a matter of physical safety. You're comparing apples and oranges. We are talking about an event which the parent (for whatever reason) is uncomfortable with her child participating. And for that, she is getting called horrible, horrific names.

Although I do think that the OP's provider did not do anything wrong by terminating, I do not see the point in attacking the OP. I can honestly see both sides of this situation. But the OP showed any signs of hatred towards gays. Yet, she has been the target of hatred against her. That truly is the pot calling the kettle black. Again, in the famous words of Rodney King, "can't we all just get along?"
You're right, the OP didn't come right out and say that she hated gay people. Maybe she doesn't hate them but she is certainly uncomfortable with them. Maybe I am the pot who calls the kettle black, but I don't mind. I just think that someone needs to call the OP out on her post. A person doesn't have to be obvious to be prejudiced against a group of people. The OP sounds like a person who has her opinions and veils them just to seem politically correct.