View Single Post
Former Teacher 04:34 PM 08-06-2010
Well I see both sides of the story as usual. However I am confused by some responses. What difference does it make for the parent to keep their child home from a Gay Pride celebration? Or if the parent keeps the child home because of the children having a Christmas party, or any party for that matter?

I ask because I once had a boy in my class who was Jehovah Witness. Every time we had any sort of celebration whether it be Christmas, Valentines, or anything like that, Mom kept the boy home. She didn't even want him to celebrate BIRTHDAYS. On the day of his birthday she whispered to me to remind me that it was his birthday. Yet he still came that day for some odd reason. Well I mentioned to another teacher (who didn't know this family didn't even celebrate birthdays) that it was A's birthday and she went up to him and said Happy Birthday! This little boy who was 4 that day, said..you're not suppose to tell me that. Then he ran off. The teacher and I were like what?!?!

Anyway while I totally agree with the providers and I disagree with the way the parents are bringing up this child, I find it ridiculous to terminate someone who have different beliefs than your own. The parents were willing to keep the child home had their been a GP event. Now on the other hand if they still wanted to bring the child and not just have him participate that's something different.

IMO I think its discrimination to terminate a child for not having the same beliefs as your own.