View Single Post
mommyneedsadayoff 05:46 PM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
I know that some people can get addicted to it just like alcohol, and eventually get into harder drugs, because in my late teens, a guy I knew was using it and got into harder drugs. He died at the age of 20 when he thought he could fly. In his case, it wouldn't have mattered if marijuana was legal or not. It was the start of his death.

Marijuana addiction may not be common, but it is real.
http://www.healthline.com/health-new...ut-real-072014
I think anything can be addictive and I am sure there are people who are addicted to marijuana or at least addicted to the habit of using it. I have heard of people being addicted to running, which I find insane, as I get tired walking into the kitchen I don't think it is fair to punish a majority of people for the addictive issues of very, very few people. The benefits of marijuana far out weigh the risks of addiction.

As for it being a gate way drug, I am sure there are people who have started with mj and moved onto harder drugs. One reason may be that when you make it illegal, you make it popular on the black market and while many dealer get by on selling just mj, many are also pushing much harder drugs. By forcing it underground, people are walking into potentially dangerous encounters with dealers and with other types of drugs. Legalizing it will make it much safer for people to acquire. They will find it regardless of law, so I feel that the safer, the better. And again, the main point is that it has many beneficial uses and unlike alcohol and other drugs, it is medical option for many people and far healthier than numerous synthetic drugs.