View Single Post
Cat Herder 05:16 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by PB&J:
Gotcha! I did know that you are rural, and it does seem like some of your plan is based also on your relationship with your families. We, too, have to have drastic emergency plans (but we are closer to “big city” life and I know that comes into play). We are larger (in home) with employees and one thing that HIT me about making our plans: we were advised to inform our employees that they are NOT to abandon their “posts” to attend to their own families. Ummmmmmm.......
And that is the other thing. They learned that during the Pearl Harbor Bombing and the 911 attack (and I am sure many other times) that some did leave their post and left others exposed or helpless to attend to their own. Daycare providers, nursing home staff and teachers were some of those abandoning their charges, too. I don't have to tell you the outcomes of that. When they can't get to us to get their kids, we must be prepared to keep them safe until they can.

Think about the parents stranded downtown for days during Katrina. They could not leave those shelters. I still wonder why we did not hear more about how providers coped with that.