View Single Post
Unregistered 08:26 AM 09-28-2015
I had a terrible time with parents saying "oh, it's only 8 inches of snow, I grew up in the area, and I have a 4WD truck..." So, there I am out shoveling the aforementioned 8 inches of snow from my driveway and sidewalk so I don't run the risk of getting sued from a fall. I was constantly checking out my window to see how much snow we had before I would decide to close...and there were always parents trying to get their kids here. I finally just changed my policy...if the school is closed, I am closed. If they are on a 2-hour delay (elementary starts at 11 here on a 2-hr delay), I open at 10 (2 hours past my start time of 8 a.m.). Sooo much better!!!

I have a change to shovel the sidewalk and driveway on the 2-hour delays, and I can play with my kiddos in the snow on snow days.

The other thing I changed was vacations. I put in all of our birthdays and our anniversary (5 days a year), then took off for Easter, Good Friday, 3 days around Thanksgiving, a week at Christmas and Veteran's Day (we are both veterans).

So much better!

Don't be afraid to take off the days that would make you resent your business, and don't be afraid to change how you operate. That's part of the fun of owning your own business - you can change the rules.