View Single Post
SignMeUp 03:54 PM 09-05-2014
That title there ^ was the name of a class I took thirty years ago. How do I still remember that? Because it made a big impression on me, and related to how I already dealt with my child care children as well as my own.

It did not, however, mean that you praised excessively, mindlessly, or non-specifically. You didn't even have to "catch them" with words. It's more a matter of noticing the good, and not giving undue attention to the negative, because when we care for young children, we are helping them form a self-image. We want that self-image to be positive, but realistically positive, not in a pumped-up, false way.

I "notice" some of my preschoolers with a grin, an ASL "thanks", a thumbs-up, or a high-5, because they already know they are doing something nice, doing something well, but I want to give them the acknowledgement.
Sometimes it's more complicated input that I want to give them, so I will say something specific to what I liked about what they are doing.

"Good job" may have its place. But like a time-out, it can be way over-used, to the point that it means nothing at all. In my opinion, that's what needs to be avoided.