View Single Post
melilley 10:42 AM 06-06-2013
I agree with Leigh, especially when the child seems like they are developmentally where they should be, except for the self help part. I also think that some parents do need to see other children around their child's age so that they can see what children their child's age can do for themselves. I'm not saying to compare all children or that they all need to be at the same level, but there are certain self help skills that children should possess by a certain age.
A little off subject, but I have a 20 mo. old here who can't say not one word. Mom and dad mentioned their concern when he first started here 3 months ago and we decided to observe him together and give it a little to see if he would start talking, but nothing. Mom came to me this week and said that her older daughters were around their cousin who is 2 months younger than him (dcb) and that she was speaking in full sentences. Now the mom is going to get him evaluated. My point to this story is sometimes parents do not realize that their child should be doing things appropriate for their age and when they see other children doing it then sometimes it turns on a light and makes them realize that their child can do more than they think! I'm not saying in all cases, but most.