View Single Post
KidGrind 04:05 PM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by Parent:
Again, I point to my original statement. "While I wouldn't give my kid Tylenol for a fever before dropoff, I can't keep him out for a week while he takes a course of prescription cough syrup."

I will keep him out when he's sick and/or actively contagious, and especially if he's puking. I got puked on for the first time a few weeks ago and it sucked. But, I just can't keep him out because he's finishing up a course of cough syrup/antibiotics. If I've seen the pedi and the kid has been cleared to go back to daycare then I have to go back to work.

My job actually requires a copy of the doctor's note. If I have a note that says he's cleared to return to day care on Monday then my boss requires me to be there on Monday. Not on Tuesday, or Wednesday, or next Monday when my kid finishes the entire course of meds. I only get 6 sick days a year, and only three of them are paid. If I'm lucky I can find backup for a day or two, but I don't have anyone who is available for a week at a time for something like this. Exclusion simply for being on a medicine would wipe me out by Feb 1.

I do understand that there are more families than just mine that you have to think about. However, I seriously doubt that these families are going to pay my bills if I lose my job.
Why would they pay your bills if you lost your job for not having adequate back-up? That is your responsibility as a parent. And you’re not going to pay all my bills if I lose my other clients due to you dropping off your sick kid. Why should you? I have a policy in place and should enforce it. It’s my goal to keep my responsible clients and weed out the irresponsible ones quickly.