View Single Post
jenboo 08:41 AM 05-24-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am watching this video right now. Looks like a lovely place, but no, not realistic for a person's home.

I think that when parent's present play based or other alternative preschools, like Waldorf, it is their responsibility to know the program and what it will and will not do. They need to supplement their own child's education if they plan to send them to a kinder that is in complete opposite of their current preschool environment. They only thing that truly bothers me about alternative preschools is the worry that parents then send their 5 year old to traditional school settings and leave a child there shell shocked. Alternative preschools have many lovely choices but are becoming trendy, more than anything else, and so some parents are not making informative, educated choices on the best fit for their own child.

For instance, my 1st grader is first on the wait list for an expressive arts school where the focus is not mainly academic. There are critics to the school that say academics are not a priority there. The school still seems like a great fit for my gifted, creative child (she has tested gifted, it is not just me saying this). I will be supplementing her education at home so she doesn't lose the interest and ability in things like science, which is taught but not a focus at the expressive arts school. It is my responsibility as a parent to fill in the gaps as I knowingly place my child in an alternative school.
I feel like most children who go to a school like this would most likely go to an alternative school. There are so many project based charter schools these days.