View Single Post
nannyde 05:00 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is in CA and it is licensed. You can do this, people. You can. Lol Forcing young children to sit in a circle and learn 123 ABC and sit at a desk and color in a photocopy of a dog and say 'd is for dog' is pointless and is just simply not developmentally appropriate. This, what they do in this place, is how they learn. No sitting in a circle is going to teach them the way these experiences will. You can and should be doing these things. When you do a 'sensory bin' you are making a start towards this. And that's good. But if you take it up a notch, that's great. And, I'm sure in 20 years you will be. Right now, you say 'no no no way'. Just like 20 years ago you said no way would you do this silly messy sensory bin idea. This is real and its what these kids need. It is licensed and you can do it. There are 4 co-ops like this within 20 miles of me. There are non-coops near me doing these things. There are family childcares near me doing these things. All are lisenced. Here in CA, we have to be. Its so frustrating reading these comments. Yes, they are licensed. Yes, it is good for the kids. Yes, the children adjust well to Kindergarten. Yes, it is feasible to do these activities and make these environments. Omg. I get not wanting this craziness all over your house. I get it. But don't act like its some weird fringe movement. This is how kids learn best (and function best if you want to play the whole 'I'm not a teacher, i'm a daycare provider' thing).
I don't want to run a business with parents being half or a third of the caretakers every session. I don't want to run a business where I don't serve meals. I don't want to find clients that can pay $10 to $24 an hour. I don't want to maintain a property that requires parents to work by maintaining it and cleaning it up. I don't want to do parent meetings for three hour stretches weekly or monthly.

I don't want to find clients who only need 5 to 7 hours of care a week for 32/33 weeks a year. Why are you frustrated hearing the responses? I don't know too many providers who could pull off this model. It takes a lot of land, a ton of high maintenance infrastructure. A huge supply fee for each family etc.

Bev has been doing this for a LONG time and hasn't franchised. She sells her theory but to my knowledge she doesn't have multiple sites. You say kids SHOULD be doing this but it can't be replicated in a 50 hour daycare week with one adult per six kids.

Do you GET that this is a play experience for a few hours a week for approximately 7.5 months a year?

It's not child care. It's really awesome play in a REALLY awesome environment with a bunch of mommies there. The two day a week kids have mommy there half the time they are there. The three day a week kids have mommy there one of three days.

And... Bev has been doing this for a long time. Where is her longitudinal research that says that kids who attend her program 5 to 7.5 hours a week for a total of 32 weeks a year for a couple of years score any higher in ANY measurable way in reading, math, science, social studies, and languages?

Where's her research to show it has any lasting impact on outcomes? If compared to their economic counterparts, I can't see where these REALLY small exposures for a couple of years makes any lasting impact.

Nobody is saying it's not cool and super fun for the kids. Your saying this is what we should be doing doesn't include how to fund it. If it were easily funded Ms Bev would have many many sites.