View Single Post
gonecrazy 10:26 AM 09-06-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:
This thread interests me from a psychology standpoint. Children's environment, generally, dictates how a child reacts to anything, including play. While I offer a "BROAD" range of activities, child-directed and adult-directed, many times my hands are tied when it comes to some children.

Mom and I had this discussion yesterday. Case in point, during preschool which I began Wednesday this week, I have too many children that look like the kids in the "Ferris Buellers Day Off" movie? In the past, my program has been able to counter "environmental" issues, but that has become more and more difficult over the past few years. Used to, we only confronted those issues on Monday and things progressed through the week toward the positive. However, I feel it is a battle every day to keep kids attention, to teach them, to allow them to play and play "like kids used to".

For whatever reason, it just isn't happening naturally anymore!

My personal belief is the kids whom were raised in the generation where child care became geared strictly for children where children do not adapt whether it be for furniture or following directions allowing kids to make ALL their choices now are having kids. Screen time does play a part but I feel takes too much blame. Parenting is not parenting any more. It is the good ole' friend game now. There is no authority, no expectations, just do what you want when you want and so what everyone else thinks.

As for the little boy who doesn't play, I would offer to teach but if he doesn't pick it up, just let him be and respect whom he is. As a child care provider, I have felt I could cure everything and in the past, maybe I did, but the last two years have shown me different.
Yes! I see this in my daycare kiddos as well. No one stays home and just lets the kids play! It's constant sports, outings, etc. There is no family down time anymore!! And this particular little one has had very little as far as rules and boundaries. He came to me at a year old having never been made to nap, etc. I have rules here but it's been my observation from years of experience that kids act like they are allowed to act at home! They will think those rules should apply everywhere and push your limits constantly if they differ. It's hard caring for other people's kids!