View Single Post
taylorw1210 09:41 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
Thank you all for replying. I wasn't sure if anyone would bother responding to my simple little question. I have done licensed home daycare for 25 years and have always had a dog and 2 cats (well, for the most part of the 25 years. As each pet died, I did wait a while before getting a new pet, but we would still have the other 2 pets during that time.) Anyway, I have always had pets and allowed them free roam within the daycare room and allowed the children to interact with the pets. I never had any parents fuss about the pets other than a couple of people who either the parent or child had major allergies.

But since I moved to the area I am in now, about 2 years ago, (and this is the lowest income area I have ever lived in) the majority of parents won't even come to an interview because I tell them I have pets and allow the pets in the daycare area. Many of the ones that do come to the interview freak out over the pets. During one interview, the mother and little girl both acted like a lion had just come down the steps when my little 1 year old cat came into the room! They both screamed, the little girl jumped onto the mother's lap, the mother patted her back repeatedly very fast, and even asked if we could continue the interview outside! I told her that if they can't be inside for the interview, I certainly can't watch the little girl all day long every day. That was the end of the interview!

I am trying to figure out how I can block my dog and cats upstairs for most of the day. I just feel really bad about blocking pets in a bedroom all day long, especially when they can hear us downstairs. But I know a lot of pets are put in crates all day while their owners are at work all day. I guess it isn't horrible to block them into a bedroom.
It's not horrible to block them into a bedroom - like you said, many are crated all day while their owners are working. However, I understand you not wanting to. I would not want to either.

I always disclose in my ads that I am a dog friendly household. If I am speaking with a referral, they usually know that since they are being referred by a current or past family - but I always make sure to inform them prior to them visiting. I do that to ensure they do not have any allergies.

I have had one family where the children were incredibly afraid of my dog. At the time I had only my boxer, who is the gentlest dog ever. Mom knew how scared of the dog her kids were, but she chose to enroll them because she didn't want them scared of dogs. We were able to work through that issue within 2 weeks.

I have only had one family decline an interview because of my dog, however. She responded to my ad which plainly stated that we are dog-friendly, and when I clarified with her while confirming her interview for later that day, she got mad and claimed I did not state that in my ad. I double checked the ad she responded to, and then copied it to her to show her that I did have that advertised, and she never responded after that and did not interview.

Everyone else has had no problems and enjoy greeting the dogs during drop offs/pick ups. My dogs (I just added another to the family this week) spend a reasonable amount of time in the same area with the daycare kids, but I also separate them to give them some "chill" time. My boxer prefers to be with the kids at all times - I joke that she is my assistant. I also make sure I explain to the families that my animals are current on all vaccinations, and that I have been training/competing with dogs for in obedience, agility, and confirmation for almost 2 decades - so they understand I'm very knowledgeable and am not your average dog owner.