View Single Post
e.j. 12:42 PM 03-22-2019
That presenter was rude and incredibly sanctimonious. I give you credit for not walking out on her. Hopefully, there was an evaluation form given out at the end of her lecture (and I do mean lecture!) so you could let her know how unprofessional she was.

I'm torn on this issue because I can see merit in arguments both for and against the use of food in play.
I don't use food in a lot of my crafts and activities probably in part because I was taught not to waste food but more so because I worry about attracting ants! (I had one kid stuff food under my tv cabinet and I didn't realize it until I noticed the ant trail.) Every once in a while, though, I do use food for a craft if it looks like fun and is apropos to what we're learning at the time.

I don't see using food in a craft or activity as disrespectful or insensitive in and of itself but I could see where it might be if my clients were struggling to afford food, had a child with allergies or food sensitivities or otherwise had objections for cultural reasons. In those cases, I would try to be respectful and sensitive to their feelings by choosing not to do a craft or activity that involved food or if I felt strongly about its use, I would explain and give them the option not to have their child take part in the activity.

I wonder if the workshop instructor enjoys an occasional hamburger or steak despite the fact that there are those in the world who see cows as holy? I wonder if she drove to the workshop in her gas powered, air polluting car when there are others who have to walk miles to work (if they can get work)? Does she take a hot shower every day or allow her child to swim in a pool or play in a water table despite the fact that there are children in the world who are dying from lack of water? Does she live in a McMansion despite the fact that there are children in the world who are living in cars, tents, mud huts...? Would she consider herself disrespectful or culturally insensitive or is it just the use of some rice or a box of macaroni that makes her get up on her high horse?