View Single Post
Willow 08:44 AM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by Brandye:
I have tried talking to this girl, I have tried watching her whenever I can but what you must remember is that I run an in home daycare. The children range from newborn to 5yrs. At the current moment I have two children under 6 months old.
I teach preschool for the children, along with sign language. For me to keep constant watch on one child would be impossible.
Ditto.

Many of us here are home providers (I sure am). Most of us home providers have children newborn through school age (I sure do). And same deal, I currently have two who are just 4 months old.

Only difference is I don't have an assistant like you do to help me.

And I still don't have any trouble supervising each and every one. No one is suggesting you sit there and stare at her, but keeping her next to you as she plays isn't difficult at all.

Originally Posted by Brandye:

As for the segregation, even something as simple as keeping them in the same room but putting them inside a playpen is not allowed.
No one is asking you to put the child in a playpen. What is being suggested is that you keep her near you so you can properly supervise. Let her choose a toy and have her sit next to you to play with it. If she wants another one you walk with her to pick one out, then have her sit back down next to you wherever you need to be.

It's really not that big of a deal, is allowed across the board for all licensed homes without question, and is incredibly effective.

I'd be willing to bet with 100% certainty a sticker chart is not going to work here. If she thinks it's funny and is a perpetual problem a mere sticker isn't going to be incentive enough to stop her behaviors. Her payoff getting after other kids is worth waaaaay more than a sticker on a chart.

As daycare mentioned the word here is proactive, not reactive. You NEED to identify her triggers and catch her there, before she has time to react. I'd venture to say it's the only thing that's going to work in a situation like this.