View Single Post
Witty 07:41 AM 08-25-2016
My concerns center a lot around academics and social development. By staying in the same classroom my daughter does not get to experience the new play centers, learning activities, etc available in the "established" 3 year-old room. She's stuck in a room tailored for 2 year olds with the same toys and experiences she'd had for a full year. We chose this center based largely in part of the academics and because it's full-Spanish immersion. They loudly tout their academics, so we expect academics. I'm not talking about sitting down learning algebra, but I expect 3 year-olds to be learning numbers past 10 and letters/sounds of the alphabet, which I can't see happening based on the age group she's in. We do that at home, but she's at daycare for 7 hours a day and I want her to be learning at a 3-year old level there as well. They say the class is for 2.5-3.5 year-olds, but in reality it's more like 2.2-3 year-olds, with my daughter and a few children being the oldest (as they were for the latter part of the year in their 2-year old classroom this "older" group all has birthdays between August 15th and September 6th). I would have far less concerns if the 3 year classrooms were divided into 3-3.5 and 3.5-4, but that's not the way it's being done.

By being the oldest, she's not learning from older peers important social clues and pretend play. I have another daughter who's due in November. I expect my second to be the oldest in her class for all of her education based on her birthdate. That's the way life is, and I'm fine with it. But my oldest will be the youngest in her school group, and by not moving her up now she will be stuck with the "younger" age group until kindergarten, when she'll suddenly be thrown into a group of kids where she's the youngest. That's not fair to her, and it's not in her best interest in the long run. She needs to learn how older children handle their emotions so she can mirror it, how older peers play, how to draw squares and color in the lines. She doesn't need another year of being stuck in what is essentially a 2-year-old classroom.