View Single Post
SilverSabre25 10:05 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sorry, I don't believe that it should be used in this case. I think the parents need to step up and help her learn to talk. There is no excuse for a 2 yr old not at least saying more words then she is saying. I know each child is different and learns at a different pace, but my gosh, help her to speak, not use sign language. If she has a development problem that is different, but it doesn't sound like she does.
Heck YES there could VERY easily be a VERY GOOD excuse for a 2-year old to not be speaking yet! Speech delay, cognitive delay, hearing issues, and ASD are just FOUR of the things that come to my mind instantly! Kids don't generally need to be TAUGHT to talk--they learn it from their environment. No one has ever sat an infant down and said, okay, it's time to learn to talk! Kids don't learn that way. Language acquisition is not like learning calculus or French as an adult. Children's brains are hard-wired to acquire speech and it begins in the womb, as soon as the baby starts to be able to hear, which occurs around...26 or 27 weeks, IIRC. If a 2-year old isn't talking or at least making SOME attempt to communicate, there is something more going on.

I am dearly, dearly hoping that you, Ms. Unregistered, are simply a lurker and a troll and [i]not[i] a registered user who's hiding. Your comments show an amazing lack of understanding of child development. You make it sound like you think the child isn't talking simply out of misbehavior or out of spite, but a child that age isn't capable of something like that.