View Single Post
Starburst 07:06 AM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
Bleeding heart liberal post so some may take offense.

I don't know what constitutes private in the US but here it isn't home daycare providers. Private is for profit daycare centres where money is made for the owner/ operator often on the backs of their staff and cutting corners on quality.

Perhaps the suggestion is that your country needs more quality, subsidized care in non- profit centres- as does our country.
care.com artical (daycare options):

'Home/Family Day Care -- A family day care, or home day care, is a private home in which fewer than seven minor children are received for care and supervision for periods of less than 24 hours a day. Home or family day cares are required to have a state health and safety license but not all of them are in compliance. Be sure to ask about their license, background checks and CORI checks.'

It has a private owner and runs pretty much only on that income- rarely do home daycares recieve grants or funds (at least in my state- very hard to find here). It is also lower ratios and not like boys and girls club or YMCA where anyone from the public can just walk in anytime when they are open; so according to my ece teachers it counts as private daycare.

Don't get me wrong if it is about raising the quality of learning or the education/ training requirement levels of providers- trust me, I am all for that! But it seems like they are expecting that daycare providers get even less pay than most of them get for how long they mostly work; they work an average of 10-12 hours per day (most parents work 8-9 hours with overtime) and they mostly need at least 3-4 kids just to be making minimum wage- which is nowhere near were it should be with cost of living to begin with. If they expect that the quality goes up than they need to expect that the cost will go up too- there can't be a push without a pull.

In Italy they value early education- they have street carnivals and family events and they treat and talk about the teachers with respect, they also give moms longer maternaty leave so most kids don't start daycare until they are at least 1-1.5 years (here most kids start at 6 weeks- 6 months max if their moms are on maternaty leave). But here in the USA people are getting used to getting things cheaper or expecting to get things for free. And when you charge too low rates or offer too many discounts (from a business point) you are 'devaluing the brand' and implying that your product (or service) is not worth the sticker price. Quality child care is worth every penny, and them some!

Thats why everyone blames public schools for everything! Because its free and it is a scapegoat for some parents like 'oh my kid shot up the school; but it's not my fault! It's the schools fault!' or TV or music or whatever but it is never the parents fault- are the parents admitting they didn't really raise their kids but are letting teachers, peers, music, and TV raise their kids because they don't know how to raise kids?