View Single Post
LoraJenkins 11:04 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I have an autistic son. I agree with a pp about making sure his routine at home and daycare is exactly the same to give him the best opportunity to be successful. That being said, I trained my own autistic son without rewards of any kind - other than verbal praise.

I don't like using food as a reward. (M&M's would not be ok here even if I would use them as a reward due to allergies.)

I do use stickers. I have a variety of stickers. The child can pick out a sticker after doing potty successfully. It gets the non potty trained kids excited about pottying too, because that's the ONLY time they get a sticker at my home. As they progress through training, the rewards become less and less (after frequent successes they'll only get a sticker when TELLING me they need to potty, then only get a sticker when they have a BM in the toliet, then stickers are done)

For this child, I'd have some more conversations about at home PT. Is he really being successful at home with the reward he has or is it only working occasionally? I would see if they could switch his reward to something you are willing to do at daycare to maintain the consistency. In my case, I'd tell them that candy will not work due to the other allergies I have in my care and the risk involved.