View Single Post
nothingwithoutjoy 08:02 PM 07-02-2015
I always invite families to visit during my time with kids. They may come in the mornings between drop-off and lunch, or after nap but before pick-up. I want them to see what our day is like--not just what the environment is like. If I were a parent looking for child care, I'd want to see how the provider interacted with children, what the tone of the group was, how children were allowed to use the space, etc... I let them know that I may not be able to talk much then; that the children must come first. I put out something interesting to keep the kids pretty independently engaged (this week while we had a visitor, it was play dough, and watercolor painting). So usually, I am able to talk. I also have lots available for them to read/look at: parent handbook, sample documentation of learning, project work, etc. So if I'm busy, they have plenty to do. I let the kids know we'll be having a visitor, and what my expectations for behavior are. I also let parents know (I don't ask permission).

Inevitably, something will go wrong at some point. My own daughter once hit a younger girl when she was visiting. Her mother still enrolled her, and later her sister. I think the question is not "how will the kids act," but rather, "how will I handle it?" A good parent will understand that stuff happens, and if you handle it well, it's a great example of what kids will learn in your care.